Friday, May 18, 2012

Last year I wrote an entire book entitled, "The Law of the Fast - Promised Blessings to the Saints".  I was anxious to share it with anyone who would stand still long enough to listen.  Since my first sharing with my friends and posting some of the chapters of this book on the internet, I have had cause to pause and reconsider my approach to the sacred act of fasting.

It is more than apparent to me that to reach an audience, the first thing I need to do is find out your interests and questions.  That will require some intercommunication.  There has been some action on this site, but would probably result in more satisfied readers if I got more involved with you.

I want to share the questions that have come to me since my second edition.  With your input I believe I will have greater success in sharing what I have learned and I will be able to understand you better.

Here is my summation of what fasting is designed to do: It is designed to bring us face to face with Christ. Not only to be in His presence and see His face, but to share in that love which results in power of the most high.  It has the ability to bring us into the Kingdom of God. It will also provide us with an audience with the Father.

Now, if you are in agreement that you would like to lay hold of these blessings, let us continue on with an association.  I have read about, spoken to, and experienced for myself a closeness with Christ himself.  However, I am anxious to continue for further light and knowledge.  My study teaches me that this is done through the dedicated desire to understand the fast and all its many facets.
 
When I get involved in the process of learning, when I begin to ask questions, I learn much faster.  By asking questions, I provide the learning platform for the Lord to teach me. Certain questions have been going through my mind recently.  I would like to share those questions with you.  I welcome your questions.  That way we can both be learning.  I will be happy to answer your questions as best as I know how, and to explain the answers to my own questions.
Here goes
Why would we fast at all?
What benefits do fasting have for man? Are they only spiritual?  Are they purely physical?
Should nursing mothers fast?
Is there power in fasting?
What does the Lord have to say about the fast?
What is the Daniel Fast people are referring to?
What does the Word of Wisdom and fasting have in common?
Do the words 'feasting' and 'fasting' have any connection?
How does the Sacrament tie into the fast?
How does the word connect with feasting and fasting?
What did the Savior say to those who asked him why those with him (in Jerusalem) did not need to fast?
Why are the words fasting and rejoicing interchangeable? (D&C 59)
Is fasting always about doing without food? Are there other ways to fast without doing without food?
What period of time is fasting designed for?  Is there a specific time where fasting is effective?  Is fasting only effective over a long period of time?
Why did the Savior fast for 40 days?  And Moses?
Does fasting always need to be accompanied with prayer?
What happens after you fast?  What can you expect to happen?

Well, here are some of the questions that come to my mind.  Do you have any?
Please let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment