Thursday, May 9, 2013

Just a tiny bit

I have been reading a great book called the Long Knife, by Alexander Thom.  He wrote Follow the River, among many others. He is an historian extraodinaire and I would put him in a classification next to Gibbons and Michner.  I have really enjoyed his books because he has done such in-depth research.

Something caught my eye as I was in the thick of the exciting part where George Rogers Clark was leading his very weary men on a surprise attack to recapture Fort Vincennes (Vincent) from the British Commander Hamilton, who was commonly called the scalp buyer.  Clark had pushed his men day after day because they needed to attack at a time they would be completely unexpected, and for the last 6 days of their trek they had suffered incredible hardships in freezing cold, wet weather with nothing to eat.  The comment made was that he felt that his men were doing something that the Indians imposed upon themselves: they would fast for days so that they could get a clarity of mind and purpose. They needed to stay their course, they were fording a river that had ice in it and none of the men could swim.

As I study different things in history regarding fasting, I can see how purposeful a true fast is, if done with the intent of connecting with the Heavens, and the power that comes from communion with intent to fulfill purpose.

It is a waste of time to point out all the traditions that practice some kind of fast.  What is of import to me is to recognize and then put into practice something that will yield the same powerful results as these Indians, or anyone else for that matter who is seeking the help from the Heavens in large, powerful doses.  If fasting gives clarity of mind, then it must be breaching a gap that is filled in with all kinds of distractions.  Something to consider as I have given up the wicked whites to seek after more light and less strain on my body.

I am always learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment