Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fasting and the Second great commandment

I have spent a few years of my life with my obsession of finding the Lord in a book.  I have learned a great deal.  One book I read, Yearning for the Living God, by Enzio Busche, was a book that frequently brought me to my knees.  It gave me great pause to contemplate my position with the Lord. This book is his personal experience of trials, conversion, and unbelievable experiences of coming to know the Lord and his power.  I was more than moved by the experience from the reading of it.

Other books have moved me with great force.  Certainly the most powerful of them are the holy writ.  Never do I go there to sup with the Lord that His table is not spread with the greatest feast, the most delicious delicacies.  I never leave hungry, well, not exactly. I leave anticipating the next time we will meet again and I will be filled up with his love, his wisdom, his peace.

Still, as I pursue these sacred books and experiences of other people who have come to know the Lord on a personal level, it only makes me that more desperate for the real thing.  I think that is what it means to mature in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It is not enough to have a third party intervening and sharing with you.  No matter how much effort a Sunday School teacher makes to give a great lesson, or someone who prepares a sermon, it is still a third party. As wonderful as the account of any prophet is to testify that he has not only seen Jesus and been ministered to by Him,  it is still a third party invitation. Enough is enough.  Standing outside the stadium, outside, the garden, outside of the realm where I can touch and feel and know for myself becomes almost more painful than I can bear.

One of the things that I have been taught as I have pursued my journey is that the key to all this is not the attainment of the audience of Christ alone.  Many people have seen Christ and never recognized him.  Think of all the people that walked the streets with him.  They were thrilled that he was offering them a free lunch, but they did not recognize who He really was.  I walk the streets of my neighborhood and miss the signature of his handiwork continually.  I have found the secret to knowing him is to pray for the ability to have his love, both for me and for all his children.

Moses was given a set of plates the first time he went to see the Lord on the mount.  He returned with them.  The people weren't ready for the message from God.  It wasn't a PhD. thesis paper.  It was obviously very simple.  It was the first 2 great commandments. Why is it so much easier to starve ourselves and go without food for hours, or days, or even weeks, than it is to reach out and love each other?

I have met some really remarkable people on the path to seeking the face of Christ.  They are determined and resolute.  They read everything, know their scriptures, theology, history, even some are famous scientists and musicians.  One thing that I am seeing very clearly is that we can all fit into the category of the rich young man who wanted to get into the kingdom, but grieved when he learned he had to give it all up and take care of the poor.  He loved his riches and went away sad.

We hold so tightly onto the riches of the world. They might not look like riches in a monetary fashion, but anything that you hold dear to your heart that isn't the love of God and of all men will keep you from having the greatest blessing in the world.

You can seek for Christ through the fast until you starve yourself to death.  If you do not seek to love more than anything else in life, if your wife or husband and children do not know of your dedication to loving them and your willingness to submit yourself to the Lord for instruction and chastisement so that you can be totally filled with His love, you will miss out on the joy of the journey.

Isn't this the second great commandment? . .   Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? (Isaiah 58:7)


If we do this great thing, if we reach out in love to all those around us, losing ourselves in his work, we will find ourselves, as sure as shooting.  Here is the promise -- Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, (Isaiah 58:8).


Our light will break forth as the morning.  We will be filled with light, with understanding, with glory, with the armor of God, with knowledge, with intelligence.  What a profound blessing to receive by keeping this ordinance! How incredible it will be for us to seek the Lord through the fast and be taught love.  


Love is the greatest and strongest power on earth.  It is not just a sweet phrase, it is not a trite phrase.  It is a power that overcomes and conquers evil, the evil that is in us and all around us.  It gives us peace and joy and a place on the right side of God.


Oh, what a blessing it is to fast and come to know God.

No comments:

Post a Comment